- Hostile (kick other people off the property),
- Actual (they live there),
- Open (people see them living there)
- Continuous (in California, they live there for 5 years)
- and they pay the property taxes (as in cold, hard cash)
get the money back on improvements he made to the property. An issue of semantics, you think? Think the adverse possessor got a raw deal?! Well, to read up on how Adverse Possession works, I suggest you head over to you local county law library and take a look at Powell on Real Property (Lexis).