Monday, November 21, 2016

Get that covered

Modesty is
The other day, a young woman came into the library.  Seems she was lost and needed a little direction.  
 
What caught my attention was not so much her question as it was that she was busily using her hands to cover up what was left of dignity due to her short, short mini skirt and low, low cut blouse.  
 
You know, now that I think of it, I don't really know why she was tugging on her outfit - she looked fine to me.  These days, however, there is always someone who flips out when a guy, in this case me, notices a woman who lets it all hang out.  
 
Hey, I'm not judging here.  People can wear whatever they want when they go out in public (just take a look at some of the people who shop at Walmart).  I'm just pointing out that it seems funny she became self-conscious of what she was not wearing only after she hit the streets.
 
Had young lady done a little more preparation in choosing a bit more modestly in the bedroom, she would, perhaps, not later be left wondering if everyone could see her birthday suit.

This confrontation reminded me of a conversation I had with a newly minted lawyer.  He asked me how might a person know when he has finished researching so that he can confidently prepare legal documents that would not later cause them to wonder whether their work was well, um, covered.
 
If what you are looking for is only case law, then let me suggest you take a look at:


I suspect it depends on the type of document you are preparing and how much depth you are seeking. Some of the best motions have referenced just one case and one statute. Whenever I've conducted research, I found that when I started seeing the same laws and concepts, I had figured I could confidently began to write knowing I had found most all what I needed to find.  Some resources you can use to provide depth and context include:


I suspect the moral to this story is that if you have done what you can do to prepare for whatever you are looking to confront - be it a research project or prying public eyes - take advantage of resources available to you so that you can go forward with the confidence of a well-rounded researcher.  
 
If that isn't enough, try eating copious amounts of chocolate.   It always works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment