Monday, March 7, 2016

No Room for You

Illegal is illegal
So, the other day whilst playing basketball, I go up for a rebound and when I came down, I heard a "pop" in my knee. Months later, still I'm hobbling around in pain.

As wicked as that injury was, I suspect it in no way measures up to the grief people who are genuinely handicapped feel when they try to park their cars.  I mention this only because the other day we had a person come into the law library. Seems person had parked in a spot that was not a designated handicapped parking spot in a private lot but person had their handicap placard displayed on their rear-view mirror (for the world to see) and was, subsequently, were towed.  Person had to pay the impound fee plus a parking ticket.  Person was not happy (mad as 10 wet hens).  Person wanted to know the law on handicapped parking and if they could get their money back.

For the record, I live in California.  What this means is that the laws of Pennsylvania, Montana, Wyoming, Texas, or Alabama laws are just words scrawled on paper for all I care. So, if you live in those states (or any of the other 45 states) and need to know the laws, you might try looking them up on your state's website or on the Internet (I ran a search in Google.com for: state handicapped parking laws).  The one unifying law that ties all states together, is the Americans with Disability Act (ADA).  As it turns out, the ADA has a number of provisions that relate to parking and handicapped people.

If you live in California and you have a (or plan on having a) disability and you're thinking of getting one of those blue placards, then you're going to want to point your attention to:
As to whether person can get their money back, that's a whole 'nother litigation issue - I mean, have you ever tried squeezing blood from a rock (i.e. government)?  Yeah, good luck with that.  In the mean time, know that if you ever need help finding stuff of a legal nature, your local county law library has just what you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment