Saturday, August 9, 2014

Beware the vent

Stop with the yelling
Ever had one of those days when you just wanted to scream at someone?  Maybe you got cut off on the freeway.  Maybe someone flipped you the bird.  Maybe a bunch of kids are skateboarding outside your office window.  Maybe you bought something and it came all broken up. 

I feel your pain because that's what happened to me.  I bought a nativity scene made out of olive wood as a Christmas present for the wife.  Seems the people who packed and shipped didn't know what they were doing and it came all broken up.  A couple weeks later I got a request to submit a review.  I reviewed them but because it wasn't a glowing review they asked that I remove my review.  I didn't and haven't heard nary a word since.

Turns out I'm one of the lucky ones.  Seems there are a number of companies on the hunt for people who give negative reviews on products.  Remember the KlearGear fiasco a while back?  And then there was the Hadeed Carpet Cleaning matter where Yelp! was ordered to release the names of 5 anonymous person who submitted negative reviews.

It is because of these and other potential lawsuits against consumers that AB2365 was introduced by Assembly Speaker John A. Perez (D-Los Angeles).  AB2365 is designed to protect consumers from companies that don't like a persons' review.  As per the bill, companies cannot go after any person unless a person has waived his/her rights (to be sued) and such waiver was made knowing, voluntary, and intelligent."   In this case, the waiver would probably be attached to the tiny wording people are supposed to read just as they click "OK" when they buy something.  The problem is that how many people actually read that tiny boilerplate language before clicking "OK" when buying something?  I did - once (sucked 25 minutes out of my life).

Bottom line, if companies don't want a bad review, then maybe they should sell better products, provide "better" customer service, or just grow thicker skin.  That way, when a negative review comes along, it won't sting so much when people tell you, "You Suck!"

No comments:

Post a Comment