Have you ever been in the situation where you forgot something critical? Something so earth shattering that you know it's going to come back to bite you in the backside? Such is the backdrop of today's story.
Seems there was a Guy who got married, lived with Wife for a few years, decided he didn't want to live with Wife anymore, so Wife moves to Arizona and Guy goes on with his life. Problem is, Guy never formally divorces Wife and Wife is OK with that. Wife lives in Arizona and Guy lives in California and they're both happy as clams.
Fast forward 40 years. Wife is still living in Arizona. Guy, has a thriving business in California. Did I tell you that Guy is paranoid about banks? Yeah, Guy is so paranoid about banks stealing his money that he doesn't deposit any money in any bank and had a sizable fortune in cash up in his attic.
One day Guy has a massive heart attack and is dead before he hits the floor. Wife (remember Wife in Arizona?) finds out Guy is dead and inside of three hours, the attic is cleared out and new locks are on the front gate. By the time brothers and sisters find out, the business is...well, there's not much left of it.
Maybe you've got a similar something itching at the back of your mind. Maybe you're thinking:
I should really get that will/trust written; take a look at:
I should really get that divorce; take a look at:
- Premarital Agreements: when, why, and how to write them (Harper and Row)
- American Jurisprudence Pleading and Practice Forms Annotated (West)
- California Marital Settlement and other Family Law Agreements (CEB)
I should really tell someone about the toxic waste my company dumps; take a look at:
- Whistleblowing: The Law of Retaliatory Discharge (BNA)
- Termination of Employment (West)
- Wrongful Employment Termination Practice: Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation (CEB)