Friday, November 15, 2013

Back to the drawing board

Never give upAs is the case with most things, the more you do something, the easier it becomes.  What is important is that you try and keep trying if you fail to achieve the desired result.  Take, for instance, law and legal things.  The other day I had a young-ish lady come into our law library and, after a brief tour of the facilities, she exclaimed, "I don't know how anyone could ever prepare their own legal case."

Thing is, right off the bat, most people can't.  Heck, right out of the gate, most lawyers are absolutely clueless about how to represent clients.  I can't count how many times I was told I was stupid by the court clerk when I went to file court documents.  Over time, and with practice, the practice of law and legal things became clearer and easier and eventually the clerks stopped with the name calling and greeted me with a simple "hello" when I came to the filing window.

The point to all this is that, as Jane Seymour noted, if you want something badly enough, make an attempt.  If you want to paint, get a brush and do it.  If you want to sing, sing.  A lot of people get scared. They’re afraid to fail.  Take that word (failure) out of your vocabulary.  You don’t “fail.”  You’ve “tried your best.”  If after you've done all you can (or maybe even before you reach that point), go to your local county law Librarian and let us help you go the rest of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment