Tuesday, October 8, 2013

And the day was going so well

Some days you're the nutcracker; others, the nut
You ever have those days where everything is going just perfectly and then something comes along and smacks you upside the head?  You, ever?!?  Happens to me more than it probably should.

The other day I had a guy come into the library.  Seems he had been charged with California Penal Code section 288.7 (intercourse with a child under 10 years of age).  Without missing a beat, he launches into what all he has been charged with and ends with his declaration of innocence. 

Thing is, the job of a law Librarian is to give the same level of assistance to everyone regardless of circumstance or situation.  The other thing is that sometimes the people who come to me with these stories really are innocent and maybe have an ex-spouse, neighbor, arch enemy that has it out for them.  Fact is, I'm not in the judging business - that's what the people in the black dresses are for.  My job is to help people find legal resources - so I took him over to look at California Criminal Defense Practice (Lexis) and California Criminal Law: Procedure and Practice (CEB).  I also led him over to Criminal Defense Techniques (Lexis) as well as Wharton's Criminal Procedure (West) and he was off and running crafting his defense.

A few days later, a woman came into the library.  Seems her husband had recently been charged with California Penal Code section 288.7.  As people often do, she insists I read the case file to point out a few details and as I'm reading the facts, I hearken back to the guy I was helping a few days ago and my gut goes in knots as I realize...well, this is probably at least one reason substance abuse is even a thing in legal circles.  Anyway, woman needs some information about restraining orders so I lead her over to California Practice Guide (Rutter): Family Law (West) as well as Modern Child Custody Practice (Lexis) and Handling Child Custody, Abuse and Adoption Cases (West) and life goes on.

Most times, being a law Librarian is awesome; sometimes not so much - but we all go on with that smile on our face that says: "Bring it on, world!"  Regardless of your situation, know that your local county Law Librarian has the acumen and skills to help you get where you need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment