Vote for THIS blog


The ABA is looking to publish a list of most popular legal blogs. Not that I seek public adulation, but, uh...why not head over to http://www.abajournal.com/blawgs/web100 by July 30, 2017 and vote this blog as one of the best legal blogs.

You know, for kicks and giggles.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Needs and Wants

What you need is rarely what you wantAs is often the case, I deal with people who have wants out the ying yang.  They want a complaint; they want a motion; they want to win; they don't want to pay money; they want a lawyer; they want (more) money; they want a divorce - or at least they think they want it.  Fact is, regardless of what people say they want, often times, what they want is not what they need.

For instance, I had a young lady come into the library the other day.  She had been sued by someone she had never met for a contract she did not sign and she told me what she wanted was to respond to the Summons with a California Judicial Council Form for an Answer.  While I'm not an attorney and I can't give legal advice, what I can do is guide people to what they need.  What she needed was to demur to the complaint so I casually suggested she take a look in the Combined Index for Witkin Summary of California Law (West) and look under Answer.  I also suggested he take a look at American Jurisprudence Pleading and Practice Forms (West).

Another one?  A guy came to me stating his neighbor has a virtual zoo of all sorts of animals (from vermin to deer) which like to serenade the neighborhood at 3:00AM every night.  Guy is fed up with neighbor's zoo and comes to me saying what he wants is a complaint.  Actually, what he needed was an injunction (and maybe even make a call to animal control) so I suggested he take a look at California Civil Practice: Procedure (West) and Neighbor Law (Nolo Press) and/or maybe take a look at AmJur Proof of Facts (West).

Yep, most times all it takes is a suggestion and people are off and running.  You might say I'm the sandman of legal research (whispering in people's ear).  You might, but I prefer "Librarian."