Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Foibles of Youth


ouch?
Picture it. I’m 10-years old, it’s my birthday, and I am flying down a hill on my beautiful new bicycle built for warp speed. Now I knew it was there when I started at the top of the hill, but somehow forgot, that at the bottom of the hill was a cliff, followed by a zillion feet of empty air, followed by a bone jarring thud as I came in contact with the earth below.  Strangely enough I avoided serious injury with only a few scratches and yet gained a rush of euphoria as I climbed the hill for another run.  Ah, the follies of youth.

While the injuries I sustained as a youth were mostly superficial, sometimes kids do things that are more damaging than just scratching up a bicycle.  For instance, lately the news has been full of stories about kids bullying other kids.  What is a parent to do to protect their kid from a bully?  Well, if I was in that situation, I would sprint (not walk) over to my local county law library and take a look at American Jurisprudence (West) and open Volume 6 (Assault and Battery). You might also want to take a look at AmJur Proof of Facts (West) and look in the A-B index under Bullying and/or Bullying, Public School Liability for.

Let’s try another one. Say you have a child that that has been officially classified a juvenile delinquent having just gotten him/herself arrested (again).  Frantic, you turn to yoru local county law library because, frankly, you don’t know where else to turn. Luckily, your local county Law Librarian knows to point you to California Criminal Law: Procedure and Practice (CEB), and/or How to Seal Juvenile & Criminal Records (Nolo Press).

Yep, being a youth sure has its ups but when you or your kid hits rock bottom, know that your local county law Librarian is ready to help you get up and moving forward back up that proverbial hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment