Saturday, December 8, 2012

A Horse to Water

horse lead water please
Have you ever heard the phrase, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink?"  The point of this is that you can stand on your head for some people, but you can't force them to do what they should do if they don't want to do it.

This concept was driven home to me just the other day.  Seems we had a patron come into our law library.  Patron tells me that they're looking for information about landlord tenant issues (i.e. the person was being evicted).  In a flash, I led the patron over to California Practice Guide: Landlord Tenant (West), California Real Estate Law and Practice (Lexis), and Causes of Action (West).  Heck, I went so far as to pull the volume, chapter, and located the page
exasperated people stubborn the patron's answer was located on in California Forms of Pleading and Practice (Matthew/Bender) and can you guess what the patron asked when I literally showed this person the two sentence paragraph that contained the answer?!  Can you?!??! The patron asked, "What do I do now?" I said, "You need to read it." To which the patron replied, "Oh, that's too much work. Why can't you just tell me what to do?"

Such is the life of a Law Librarian.  You can only do so much for people and then you need to let them take it from there - or not.  Either way, we're here at your local county law library whether or not you need us.

No comments:

Post a Comment