Monday, October 8, 2018

Let It Go

I'm fine
The other day I was talking with an friend of mine who told me that they'd just finished s session with their psychiatrist.  Person tells me about how, when they first started going to the shrink, they were unable to reveal anything and were able to release all their pent-up anxiety and let it all out.  I'm guessing the telling me was part of their treatment.

Anyway, as this person was telling me their story about their release, I tuned out and started thinking about a person who had come into our law library a while back.  Seems they had been sued for a LARGE sum of money.  Over the course of several years of litigation, they were finally able to begin negotiations on settling the case.  What they needed to know was if we had anything that dealt with settlements or releases or settlement releases.

As it turns out, California Civil Code 1541 deals with all things releases.  According to Section 1541:
An obligation is extinguished by a release therefrom given to the debtor by the creditor, upon a new consideration, or in writing, with or without new consideration.
Knowing my collection as I do, I was able to use the Table of Statutes referencing Civil Code 1541 and locate a number of resources that were helpful, namely:
Yep, you never know when you're going to need things of a legal nature.  Good thing you have a local county law Librarian who is always thinking about you and knows what they have when you come looking for help.  Just, please, leave your baggage at the door. 

No comments:

Post a Comment