Friday, November 15, 2019

Just call me Captain Obvious

It's cold outside, baby
The other day as I was doing my Librarian thing, I happened to stop and talk with a student here at the law school.  Seems she was freezing.  I mean, it was 47 degrees outside and what with her sitting about 20 feet from a door that opened from time to time, who could blame her for being chilled?

Except that laying right next to her was a jacket.  A warm jacket.  I'm looking at this jacket while listening to student tell me they are freezing and I ask, "is that your jacket."  Yes.  Yes it was.  I ask, "if that's your jacket and you are freezing, why are you not wearing your warm jacket to keep from freezing?!"  A reasonable question, to be sure.

Student says, "it clashes with my outfit - and besides, my ears are cold, too." As I helped student put her jacket on I noticed that the jacket had a hood - you know, the ones that can keep your head and ears warm?  I says to student, "you know, if you put your hood on, you can keep your ears warm, too..."

Shaking my head in disbelief, I walked away.  How in blazes (or why in blazes) would a person willingly freeze when relief was not 6 inches away.  Why?!?

As it turns out, I found myself asking a similar question not a few hours later as I helped an attorney with their research.  Seems attorney was looking for information to help with an upcoming trial.

Seems attorney had an client who claimed that her doctor had mis-prescribed an anti-depressant resulting in making her depressed condition worse (nasty dream, headaches, that sort of thing).

I suggest to attorney that he look at American Jurisprudence (aka AmJur) Trials.  Officially, Am Jur Trials is an encyclopedic guide to the modern practices, techniques, and tactics used in preparing and trying cases with model programs for handling all types of litigation.  

Unofficially, AmJur Trials is was awesome - simply one of the best resources a legal practitioner can use to prepare for trial.  Heck, I used it in law school to help me get ready for my classes for Evidence, Trial Advocacy, Remedies, and Civil Procedure (among others). 

Anyway, I suggested attorney take a look at Volume 17, page 485 (Litigation Regarding Antidepressant Medications).  

Attorney, however, was impatient and didn't want to have to slog through a book (millennial, and all).  Ignored my suggestions, attorney choose instead to slog through South Carolina Jurisprudence (which, I have to say, while it has some good points, it is not well written and is not a good resource on which to rely when conducting legal research).  Attorney left a while after unsatisfied with his efforts.  

Well, of course he left unsatisfied - he blew off the one person who actually could help.  

I mean why in blazes would an attorney (or anyone, for that matter) go to a law library and ignore the one person who both knows their collection like the back of their hand and can actually help them find answers to their legal research problems?  WHY!?!  

Yeah, attorney should have listened to the Librarian because we're here to help you find what you need (even if all you need is a warm jacket).

2 comments:

  1. I heartily impressed by your blog and learn more from your article, Thank you so mujch for sharing with us.
    Regina Family Lawyers

    ReplyDelete