Monday, July 29, 2019

A rough game of tag

Tag, you're "it"
My kids love playing tag.  Actually, now that I think of it, it's not the act of getting tagged as it is the chase - they love getting chased and caught and then chased, again.  They can never get enough.

I suspect that's what was going through the head of the young lady who cut in front of EVERYONE on the freeway today.  Driving the most gosh awful colored puke green Ford fiesta you have every seen, this lady got on the freeway and proceeded to cut over three lanes to get in the #1 lane.....and then slow down. 

Anyway, like I said, lady hops over to the fast lane, slams on her brakes and wonders why everyone is flipping her the bird.  I guess you could say everyone was slow shaming her.  You could say that but, in actuality, we were all just amazed that she was still breathing having just narrowly missed getting creamed by not one but two semis.

Thing is, if I were compelled to drive in such an ugly car, I'd want to get creamed, too - but I digress.  The reason I bring all this us is because as I was on my way to work today, I came upon the twisted remains of a car accident.  Seems a dually (you know, those hunking passenger trucks used for hauling) and a VW Bug (or what now looked like a Bug) tried to get it on in the middle of the freeway.  Didn't turn out so well for the Bug.

I was thinking while watching the firemen pull out the jaws of life what was going through the driver of the Bug just before the accident. Were they paying attention to driving or were they texting someone and didn't see the dually come up from behind?

Of course, South Carolina's law on texting and driving isn't something to write home about.  Heck, with a fine of only $25 per violation (under 15-5-3890), it's not even enough to discourage anyone from texting and driving.  Maybe if the fine were say $1,500 a pop and 6 months without a drivers license, then maybe people would think twice about driving and texting.

Probably, then, it's a good thing I'm not a politician - I'd be too draconian with my penalties for distracted drivers (among other things).  But, maybe that's what is needed.  Someone who is more concerned about the prevention of an offense than the appeasement of the electorate.

No comments:

Post a Comment