Monday, September 17, 2018

If the shoe fits

Blistered heels from new boots
Once upon a time I was in the market for some hiking boots. At the time, I didn't have a clue about what to buy (or not buy), what boots were made of, or that there are different boots for different occasions.  So, to a hiking boutique I went.  I picked this particular boutique because it held itself out as having particular knowledge on the subject of hiking apparel.

After trying on a few pairs, the salesguy suggested I try/buy one particular pair.  They were all leather (in that they were all one piece of leather - no stitching at all).  Just one huge piece of leather molded around a bottom sole and each boot was little over 2.5 pounds each.  The salesguy (who was much more knowledgeable about hiking boot than I was) said these would last forever.  All I had to to was "break them in."

Do you know what it takes to "break-in" a pair of new hiking boots?  It takes a lot of hiking.  LOTS and lots of it.  Well, on my very first hike up Mount Baldy, I got four (4) big, nasty blisters on each of my feet.  Broke-in?  Heck, those boots were laughing at me.  In a million miles those boots would never break.

I took them back and got another pair that I didn't have to "break-in."  Ten years later and I still have them.  They are the most comfortable boots I have ever worn.  I love them.  

How does this all relate to legal research?  Well, the other day I had a guy come into my library. Seems Guy has a problem with his eyes in that his left eye moves around involuntarily.  It's called nystagmus and if you've been reading my blog over the years, you'll know I really dig that word and have talked about it in reference to DUI cases. 

Well, Guy actually has this condition and the other day he got pulled over on suspicion of driving under the influence of a controlled substance.  Whether he was or wasn't, the cop flashed his flashlight in Guy's eyes, saw his eye bouncing around, and arrested him for a DUI.

Now, being a government employee (I do work in a county law library), I could have just suggested Guy head over to the criminal law section and walked away leaving him to fend for himself.  The problem with that is that Guy went to his local county law library (where I happen to work).  

He was there because he knew that we had knowledge of a particular nature about all things legal research and he was hoping we could put something in his hands that he could use to help him get out of his situation and not just brush him off.  How could I deny him satisfaction?  It's not in my DNA to do so.

Being the consummate law Librarian, instead of handing Guy just any book, I suggested Guy pay particular attention to:
and off Guy went to develop his defense.

Dang but sometimes you can't catch a break.  Good thing there are county law libraries around that can help you get back up when you get smacked down.

No comments:

Post a Comment